Welcome to CrossPoint Kennel!
Who are we?
We are a kennel dedicated to producing the best German Shorthaired Pointer companion gundogs that we can.
What do we mean by "companion gundogs"?
The pups you get from us should be easy to live with, easy to train and give you years of enjoyment in the field as a top-performing bird dog.
What do we mean by "easy to live with"?
- Our dogs should be calm in the house, perfectly content to lie under the kitchen table, lie under your desk, lie by you on the couch, sleep during the day, etc. - without bouncing off the walls or needing 2 hours of daily exercise to be able to tolerate them in the home.
- Sure - as a puppy, they will have plenty of energy and require some attention. But as adults, the dogs you get from us should be very quiet and content in your house or in an outside kennel.
How do we produce these types of "easy to live with" dogs?
It's in the genetics. The matron of all our current females was very calm in the house, naturally steady to wing-shot-and-fall, and she passed those traits on to her daughters. When I breed to an outside male, I want to know that they are likewise calm, even-tempered, and easy to live with.
What do we mean by "easy to train"?
- Our dogs are very biddable. They want to please. This desire to learn, and do what is desired of them also comes from their genetics.
- They are smart. It generally only takes a few times of showing them what you want - or do not want them to do before they understand.
- These all have strong natural retrieving instincts.
What do we mean by "top-performing bird dog"?
- My philosophy is to only breed my females after they have achieved a Master Hunter or Field Champion title - and then breed them to some of the top males in the country.
- By "top males" - the males will either have a performance title, or be the son of a NFC or RU-NFC / Hall of Fame GSP. Many times, I end up driving 13 hours "one way" to breed to top sires from some of the best bloodlines in the country.
What does this breeding philosophy mean to you?
- By insisting that our females achieve a performance title, then you know that they have both the natural ability and the mental toughness to absorb the training required to be recognized as an AKC Master Hunter or Field Champion.
- Also - you may note that all of my breeding stock have their hips OFA certified, with one as "Good", and two as "Excellent".
- By selectively breeding to high-performing males from proven bloodlines, you can have confidence that you are getting a thoughtfully planned, genetically sound German Shorthaired Pointer from CrossPoint Kennel.
- There is no "backyard" breeding in this stock. On both the sire and dam's side, you can be assured that the breedings were all planned going back several generations, as you will see a performance title on nearly every mating in the past six generations.